Gumtree Support

Safety Alert !

If you receive an email informing you that your Gumtree subscription payment has gone through, this isn't from us. Kindly ignore it and don't click the link! Click here for more info on phishing attempts.

Site Alert !

Check out this page for valuable information and tips to buy and sell a car!

When should I contact the police?

When should I contact the police?

When you’ve suffered from fraud or you think you’ve bought something stolen.
Report it to your local police station as soon as you can. They’ll give you a crime reference number and follow up the case. If they need more information, they’ll contact us. We’ll then do all we can to help.
Try the seller one more time
Before you go to the police, try the seller again to solve things yourself. It might not be fraud or stolen goods. The seller might just be bad at responding to you, or a bit slow sending things out.
Making a police report
It's easier to go to your local police station or call them on the non-emergency number. They can usually take your report over the phone. Some even have an online system you can use. Here's a list of the UK's police forces.
The police might ask you for the following:
  • Details of what’s happened, including names, date and time
  • Any emails you or they sent
  • Details of the ad, like reference number or even a printed copy
Going to a small claims court
If the police decide it’s a civil dispute instead of a crime, they might suggest taking civil action. That means going to a county court to try and recover your money.
A police officer can help you with this. But you’ll need the name and address of the other person before they can.
Here’s some more information about making a claim.
Getting Action Fraud involved
Action Fraud is the UK’s national fraud reporting centre.
If you’ve suffered from fraud, report it to them – as well the police and us. You can do it through their website, where you’ll also find extra help and support. Or you can call them on 0300 123 2040.
Action Fraud will give your report to the police, who might get in touch with you to ask for more information before they investigate. You’ll need to follow up with the police rather than Action Fraud.


Watch our posting guide