How to use Gumtree
We’re here to give our customers a free and easy way to buy, sell and find
opportunities. To help that happen, we have some rules we need you to follow.
What are the rules?
- You have to be eighteen and over to use the site.
- You’re only allowed one account. Our fees are per person, not per account. If you're using more than one account to avoid posting fees, we'll have to restrict your access to your accounts. Only use one.
- No contact details in titles or descriptions. Please add them to the right fields. That way you’ll have more room to describe what you’re selling.
- Clean, clear and accurate photos please. We’ll ask you to take them down if you add contact details to them. Or if they lie about what you’re selling. For example, posting a picture of an animal that isn’t yours.
- No links to other websites in your ad. There’s a dedicated field for this when you post your ad.
- Choose the best category you can. This will give you the best exposure and keep our site clean and tidy.
- English only please. And keep it clean.
- One ad per item, and one item per ad. Just so nobody gets confused, don't post duplicate ads.
- Highlight the best bits of your item, not our brand. We don’t endorse or support one thing over another.
- Only sell it if you have it. Wait till you have it before you try to sell it, like with pre-ordered tickets.
- No spam please. This includes ad spam and keyword spamming in ads. Let’s keep our community as clean as we can.
- No ‘Not Allowed’ items please. You can check out the list here.
- And finally: if you’ve sold it, take the ad down (and maybe post something else)
For a few more rules specific to our categories, take a look below:
What if someone keeps breaking the rules?
We remove their ads. Every time we do, we send them an email to let them know why. If they carry on, we might not refund them for payments they’ve made.
You can find out more in our terms and conditions.
- I've had a bad experience on the site
- Am I safe if I used Paypal?
- When should I contact the police?
- I work with the police. How can I contact you?
- How do I post an ad?
- Which location should I post in?
- Which category should I post my ad in?
- How can I put photos on my ad?
- Are ads on Gumtree free?
- Do you have rules for posting ads?
- What can’t I buy or sell on Gumtree?
- Motors Posting Rules
- For Sale Posting Rules
- Pets Posting Rules
- Property Posting Rules
- Jobs Posting Rules
- Tickets Posting Rules
- Services Posting Rules
- Community Posting Rules
- Am I dealing with a good user?
- Do I have Payment Protection on Gumtree?
- Is the Payment Confirmation e-mail I've received real?
- Is this e-mail/sms from Gumtree?
- How can I recognise fake money?
- I want to update my ad
- Do I get a refund?
- How do I add features to my advert?
- How do 'Featured Ads' work?
- How does a 'Bump Up' work?
- How does 'Homepage Spotlight' work?
- How does the 'Urgent' feature work?
- I can't find my ad. What now?
- How do I search for ads?
- Can I save ads or searches for later?
- How does messaging on Gumtree work?
- How do I know how my ad is doing?
- I have an account but forgot my password
- Buying Pets Safely
- Buying & Selling Cars