Which category should I post in?
Is the category I choose important?
It’s crucial. A lot of people search by category. Choosing the right one can get you more views and better responses to your ads. Also, once you post your ad, you can’t change its category. So do your best to get it right first time. The easiest way to find the category you need is by typing in what you're selling in the box that says 'Tell us what you are posting'. This will bring up the categories that are the best fit for you. If you want to look at the categories though, you still can. Just click on 'Or browse to find a category'.
Quick tip: Look for ads that are similar to yours. Then check the category they’re in. Go through more than one sub-category to look for the one you need.
What we do if the ad’s in the wrong category
So you can give it a better home, we take the ad down and send you an email suggesting a category. If you keep posting in the wrong place and ignoring our emails, we’ll have to restrict your account.
How to use our categories
Stick to these items in these categories and you should find success:
- I've had a bad experience on the site
- Am I safe if I used Paypal?
- When should I contact the police?
- I work with the police. How can I contact you?
- How do I post an ad?
- Which location should I post in?
- Which category should I post my ad in?
- How can I put photos on my ad?
- Are ads on Gumtree free?
- Do you have rules for posting ads?
- What can’t I buy or sell on Gumtree?
- Motors Posting Rules
- For Sale Posting Rules
- Pets Posting Rules
- Property Posting Rules
- Jobs Posting Rules
- Tickets Posting Rules
- Services Posting Rules
- Community Posting Rules
- Am I dealing with a good user?
- Do I have Payment Protection on Gumtree?
- Is the Payment Confirmation e-mail I've received real?
- Is this e-mail/sms from Gumtree?
- How can I recognise fake money?
- I want to update my ad
- Do I get a refund?
- How do I add features to my advert?
- How do 'Featured Ads' work?
- How does a 'Bump Up' work?
- How does 'Homepage Spotlight' work?
- How does the 'Urgent' feature work?
- I can't find my ad. What now?
- How do I search for ads?
- Can I save ads or searches for later?
- How does messaging on Gumtree work?
- How do I know how my ad is doing?
- I have an account but forgot my password
- Buying Pets Safely
- Buying & Selling Cars